Pages

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Modern Technology Vs Tradition

Looking back through some old posts on several radio groups (I can list them) I see some fairly sharp criticism dished out to members for the way in which they enjoy their hobby. Much of this is technology related. It is bad enough, as a DXer, that we are sometimes singled out as weirdos because we have a niche hobby, but you would expect that we hobbyists who share the same interests would understand each other better and get on well together. This is not always the case, for we have divided ourselves up into even smaller, nichier (is there such a word?) little communities. Some examples:

List Loggers:
There are those who prefer to listen to their DX for several minutes if they are able while others just want to log something and quickly move to the next frequency to see if something else is coming through;

Broadband DXing:
Some people like to DX with their broadband SDR receivers, recording large chunks of the radio spectrum while others would rather have a big knob in their face! (Yes, I did say that) and monitor a single frequency;

Propagation Alerts & DX Clusters:
Some of us radio creatures like to monitor DX Clusters so we can see where the activity is and act accordingly, while others like to fend for themselves and tune around, looking for the DX;

Carrier Monitoring
Some DXers monitor the carriers of television stations. These can act as a pointer to the current state of propagation. "But it's not radio" some would say. Yet it clearly is radio, but in a more fundamental way. Carriers can be of great use, despite the lack of audio or video which might provide station identification, however the precise 'offsets' of some carriers was often, even usually known.

Social Media:
Lo and behold a new one cropped up on SkywavesMW today where a member was criticised for making use of YouTube, where he was able to show the world how he used his receiver to pick up some rare DX catches. The argument was that he should have reported a log directly to the group. Many people make use of social media these days to stay in touch and promote the hobby. We have Bloggers, Facebookers, Tweeters and a huge range of other filesharing methods. Surely it is up to the individual how they want to store and share their files?

To some, these issues obviously matter, but we do not have to follow rules and regulations in order to enjoy our hobby. I do find it sad and unfortunate that a few DXers are prepared to fall out about these differences, clearly stating that one method is right while the other is wrong. In the space of a few days I was accused of cheating for using an SDR receiver, then blow me, somebody had a go at me for List Logging - that is, purposely logging as many stations as they can. Consider amateur radio where "Radio Sport" is a popular pastime, also known as Contesting. This has become a big part of the amateur radio community. The purpose of which is to collect points while logging as many countries or grid squares as possible along the way. It's all a bit of fun and I would say "each to their own". For me, the radio ham contest gives me the opportunity to add new countries to my logbook in a much simpler way as opposed to having to wait in a long queue while other hams finish their chinwag before I can try to work them.

As for the new breed of radio, the SDR (Software Defined Radio) has simply enabled me to realise my full DX potential. Before the days of the SDR I could only listen, or record, a single frequency in the hope of receiving something new and exciting. This was restrictive, because I never considered my location was any good for receiving exotic DX and, at the time, I never once received anything from the North American west coast or from the Canadian Prairies on medium wave in years of listening. The moment I invented in a Perseus SDR receiver I was able to record ALL medium wave frequencies overnight and play them back at a later time, so I missed nothing. If the exotic DX was there then I would have it. From the moment I bought the SDR I received many exotic west coast USA and Canadian stations, not to mention the Canadian Prairies, the North West Territories AND the impossible (so I thought) ... ALASKA! (and several times!) So, whether you consider this cheating or not, the full DX potential of my location was quickly realised and my logbook grew in size accordingly.

Even the use of the "DX Cluster" has become a bone of contention to some, suggesting that enthusiasts are finding the location and frequency of the DX and going straight to it as a result - the cheats! Really? These are excellent facilities, to be able to see the DX and go straight to it. I do see how this could take out the element of chance for some and I am happy to go along with that.

Would I like to go back to single frequency listening with a tuning knob? Will I continue to dash around the bands like there's no tomorrow? Will I continue to use DX clusters so I can see where the propagation is? The answer is simple: If it increases the size of my logbook and it's legal then I will do it. I confess I am a DX junkie. A List Logger! Call me whatever you like. If you like to do the opposite then that's fine with me. There's no accounting for our tastes so let's just enjoy and stop falling out about it. Of course I have my own preferences, but I don't have a problem with the alternatives.

2 comments:

  1. You've articulated this brilliantly. The third sentence is so true; human nature is baffling sometimes!

    Our primal instincts are competitive but often we need to ponder the fact we are human. If we want to consider ourselves more highly evolved than say an 'animal' then perhaps we should focus more on behaving like a 'human' & reign in our competitive nature. Sounds easy, in theory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jack.

    This is a difficult one. We are taught that we must strive to be the best. But does that mean we are better than others? Second best? Or worse - inferior?

    I must confess I am competitive sometimes, but when it gets too much it's enlightening to take a step back for a short while and ponder the alternatives. Then I see things from a different angle.

    It frustrates me that I take some aspects of the hobby more seriously than I should. It's only a 'hobby' after all.

    ReplyDelete