Pages

Sunday 9 December 2012

1230 Carriers

AM Carriers on 1230 kHz: 1800 - 2200, 09-12-12

Today I relocated my flag antenna so it was pointing more to the north, hoping to improve the chances of receiving higher latitude DX. As it stands, it is running at 350 degrees.

To check the antenna was functioning as I had hoped I monitored the carrier of KBRW on 680 and this was much improved over recent days. But I also tried 1230 for most of the evening, beginning around 18:00 and this is the grab above. Note the unusual waveform of the station in the centre. I presume the carrier is that of CFFB in Iqaluit in the Canadian North West Territories - a station I have received with audio two years ago here on the east coast when using a northerly flag antenna.

There is another carrier exhibiting the same effect at the top of the traces, slightly to the right of centre and which has a much larger example of that effect.

2 comments:

  1. KBRW is a fascinating station, as is KOTZ from Kotzebue Alaska. Have listened to both of them online. Real ultra local radio for the High Arctic. Unfortunately KOTZ is on 720 kHz making it very difficult to receive in Europe.

    In the northern parts of Australia you can receive Alaskan AM such as KICY.

    Good DX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NPR Network I believe. Never actually listened to it online though, other than to check for // audio when I've had KBRW in the past.

    Internet radio is fascinating though and I have several stations bookmarked in my Logitech Squeezebox. Although I am mostly interested in alternative music styles and science podcasts I enjoy talk stations, one of which is 5AA in Adelaide.

    DAB Radio is dead! Or at least it ought to be.

    ReplyDelete