Pages

Friday 7 December 2012

KBRW Carrier This Afternoon


I set Perseus to waterfall display this afternoon in order to see the trace of radio station KBRW in Barrow, Alaska on 680 kHz. The timespan for this is from 1400 to 1900 hours.

You will see receiver drift at the bottom of the display due to narrowing Perseus'  IF bandwidth which draws more resources from the PC and causes the slight change in frequency. The flaring at that point is probably due to doppler shift at fade-in. I didn't capture the trace before this as I had only just tuned to 680 at this point.

Take the frequency accuracy with a pinch of salt as I did not calibrate Perseus before starting the recording.

The weaker carrier to the right is probably an aeronautical beacon. Usually there are two of these but reception is of course dependent on propagation.

How do I know this is KBRW? Well, without hearing a full station identification it is not easy to prove. I have to accept that this could indeed be something else, but having done this experiment several times in the past, more especially during the last solar minimum, I have seen the KBRW carrier many times and witnessed it becoming strong enough to produce audio on a few occasions, audio from which I have heard full vocal station identification.

No comments:

Post a Comment