Pages

Saturday 19 October 2013

My First Japanese Reception!

Fukuoka City, Japan
Fukuoka City, Japan

Japan has always been a difficult country to receive in the UK, however, I 'dared' to assume that I would probably receive it one day because my east coast location gives me an extra lift in towards the far east.

Despite living on the east coast for three years however I was beginning to think it was never going to happen. Chinese signals come through in abundance at home on my northerly flag and especially on the BOG (Beverage On the Ground) I occasionally lay out in the marshlands of The Wash, just a few miles down the coast. Nothing! Just a few vague time signals which could have easily been Korean or Taiwanese.

This changed today when JOIF Fukuoka came in on 1413 kHz, but had it not been for the eagle-eared Paul Logan in Northern Ireland, I would never have known what I had missed. I had posted a link to my Perseus SDR file for 1700 to the SkywavesDX group. Paul missed two stations I had overlooked. One of which was JOIF. Click on the link below to hear how it sounded:


To think, I completely overlooked this. I was actually trying to hear what was happening underneath this signal, assuming it was just a European station. I have a rough idea of what Japanese sounds like too.

After posting a recording if this to the Real DX group I received a confirmation from member Hirpyuki Okamura that the language was Japanese. "O-Dori - No All Night Niiphon" was spoken which is a networked programme from 1242 JOLF. Although no local ID was heard there's nothing else this could be. JOIF is the only station from Japan on 1413. 

The path between Skegness and Fukuoka. 9225 kilometres to my north-east

No comments:

Post a Comment