Pages

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Linux & Radio Related Software

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Microsoft and their Windows operating system. After buying several versions of Microsoft Windows over the years I am becoming ever more of its limited lifespan. This was highlighted last week when I came to install XP Professional on an old laptop. After 'validating' Windows I discovered that support for XP (security updates, etc.) was being discontinued in a few weeks. It has also bee impossible to access current updates.

I have to ask why we allow ourselves to buy software which has unreasonably restrictive time limitations? We wouldn't buy other products which had these kinds of limitation. You wouldn't buy a car if you knew it was going to reject spare parts because they were too old.

The forced move to Windows 7 two years ago was unwanted and I quickly discovered that some of my radio and audio production software could no longer be used under this system. Compatibility Mode was not always helpful and some drivers were not supported under Windows Virtual Machine. Thanks Microsoft!

A computer-literate friend suggested I try Linux and one of its countless interfaces. He recommended Debian and Ubuntu as a good place to start. My immediate concern was that I wouldn't be able to run my radio software under Linux, but he pointed out that the XDR-GTK software was actually written for Linux. Then he proceeded to show me how Perseus SDR software could be run under Linux - and could even be modified and re-programmed via the open source coding. Suddenly I found myself in a rather bewildering but exciting new world of opportunities where I might need to learn about computing all over again, starting from scratch in some respects, but hopefully moving to a system which: Has enormous potential and offers some useful improvements over Windows; Still runs the same software; Runs it more efficiently and Allows greater user control. I also understand that there are less security issues outside Windows, less likelihood of contracting some malware or virus, etc. There are many other advantages and, most surprising of all, it's FREE!

I have already had a play with Debian and Ubuntu on an old laptop. It was very nice to see all drivers, i.e. video card, sound card, all being installed automatically. The user interfaces were in fact very similar to Windows, so there was no problem with understanding how to get started.

There didn't seem to be any unnecessary bloat of the kind you might get with Windows. The installation was quicker, simpler and the laptop was faster as a result. It also means I can use other, older laptops with more minimalist Linux installations, depending on the software I intend to use of course. It is even possible to run the operating system from a CD or USB pen.

So there is lots to learn and I am sure it will take me a while. I appreciate that I may still need to run Windows for certain applications, but it would be nice to get rid of some of those annoying Windows quirks. 

1 comment: