Pages

Sunday 5 January 2014

The Quadrantids Meteor Shower - Video Highlights


This year's Quadrantids produced a spectacular display of signals across the FM band. The peak for me came during the middle of the afternoon on January 3rd. I had to miss most of this due to meeting friends in town (yes, I have some!), but I left the computer recording video and audio.

January 2nd was a failure as I forgot to activate the audio on my overnight recording. There wasn't any RDS showing in the video, so I probably didn't miss much.

During the peak, there were bursts lasting more than a minute. It was like sporadic E at times, in fact I thought there was an Es opening at one point.

As is typically with meteor scatter, most of the signals remain below RDS threshold, but I still managed to produce my largest meteor scatter log for 15 years - since the Leonid storm of November 1998 in fact. For me, this year's Quadrantids were just about as good as that Leonids peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment